Forum

Any disadvantage in using a fuse?  

RSS

garolittle
(@garolittle)
Street cred = 500 mAh
26/12/2017 11:04 pm  

Are there any disadvantages with using a fuse for the following electric go cart set up:

• 48V 1000 Watt Brushless Motor with rated current of 26.7 amps
  • 48V charge controller
  • 14S8P battery using Samsung INR18650-25R 2500 mAh 18650 cells (connected with spot welder using pure nickel strips)

I have read that a fuse is an inexpensive safety mechanism but I have not found many discussions about it on this forum. Thanks for any information that anyone can offer.

ReplyQuote
max5726
(@max5726)
Street cred = 10 mAh
27/12/2017 4:38 am  

I have an electric scooter, which power device (the motor driver) is protected by a 100A fuse....

In general the protection is required to save driver / battery integrity; imagine that the drive fails, and power transistors gets shorted: the driver is an effective short circuit, which can damage the battery because of its continuous overload.

By adding a fuse, the short circuit happens only for less than 1 sec. the time required from the fuse to blow, and the battery is stressed for this short time, saving its life!

In my opinion no more fuses are required: usually battery chargers have they own fuse protection, and other devices (like lights, horn etc) have their own protection as well....

regards

Max

garolittle liked
ReplyQuote
garolittle
(@garolittle)
Street cred = 500 mAh
11/01/2018 11:09 pm  

Thanks for the response. This is good information. I really appreciate it. 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register