Forum

What is a popular, high quality 72V (20S) BMS that you would recommend?  

RSS

joshpit2003
(@joshpit2003)
Street cred = 10 mAh
31/03/2019 4:04 pm  

Hello.

For space reasons, my application is going to require me to build out QTY: 2 72V packs and then wire them in parallel.

I plan on installing a BMS into each pack.

I imagine the typical 50A continuous, 100A peak ratings (per BMS) would suffice for my project.

3 Questions:

1. What is a popular, high-quality 72V (20S) BMS pack that you would recommend?

2. Where can I purchase said BMS? (so as to not get a knock-off)

3. Is it possible to charge while both packs are connected in parallel, or will I need to charge each pack individually?

Thanks.

-Josh!

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
(@admin)
Street cred = 5 Ah Admin
02/04/2019 6:22 pm  

A BMS of that voltage and current level will be hard to find, particularly stateside. Your best bet is BesTechPower. I think they have a MOQ of 2, but that's good for your situation. Yes, packs can be charged in parallel, though its a good idea to put a diode on each pack to prevent charge moving between them.

ReplyQuote
joshpit2003
(@joshpit2003)
Street cred = 10 mAh
03/04/2019 2:16 am  

Thanks for the response.

Can you explain why it would matter if there is "charge moving between them". If one of the packs happens to finish charging before the other, wouldn't the BMS of the fully-charged pack just stop allowing a charge?

I've noticed that some BMS have 3-wires (for a separate discharge/charge port) while others have just 2-wires (for a combined discharge/charge port). Does your diode suggestion only apply to the 3-wire BMS configuration? Because I imagine a diode in a 2-wire BMS configuration would kill my ability to perform regen on the pack.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register