Forum

Fusing high current BMS wires. Are there any pitfalls?  

RSS

danlupas
(@danlupas)
Street cred = 10 mAh
11/11/2018 9:27 pm  

Newbie question here: is it a good idea to put a fuse between the battery and the BMS? Talking about the high current wires, the balance wires are self-fusing 🙂 In case the BMS develops an internal short there is nothing to protect the battery. I was thinking to put a 10A ATC fuse on the charge path and a 40A one on the discharge path of a 14S11P battery witch has a 30A BMS. But I am concerned that because of the voltage drop of the fuse the BMS will overcharge the battery / mess up the balancing / trigger low voltage protection too soon or ??? There must be a reason I didn't see anybody yet doing this. If you are fusing the BMS leads please let me know if you encountered any downside. Thanks for any insight you may have

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
(@admin)
Street cred = 5 Ah Admin
02/12/2018 11:02 am  

I have always put the fuse after the BMS (i.e. outside the batter). I wouldn't recommend putting it between the BMS and the battery because you could interfere with the proper function of the BMS itself.

ReplyQuote
danlupas
(@danlupas)
Street cred = 10 mAh
03/12/2018 8:50 pm  

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I didn't see any example of this being done so there must have been a reason.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register