Choose chargerv  

RSS

Tuna
 Tuna
(@tuna)
Street cred = 10 mAh
18/07/2017 3:58 am  

Hi.

I've been so busy building my bike and battery so I've completely forgotten that I also need a charger for the battery 🙂

I have read the battery section in the book "Diy lithium batteries" and watchd this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H12_yTx0uYg

My battery is as follows  52v 20,3Ah   14s 7p ,Panasonic NCR 18650PF 2900 mAh 10A .

BMS is a ANN086-14s -30A  Maximum rated charging current: 15 A and Maximum rated discharge current: 30 A

I have seen that there are a variety of volts values, 48v ,52v ,54,6v and 58.8v. 

Is there only a 52v charger that works for my battery or can you use a 58.8v or a 48v charger to ? 

Bms specifies charging volt of 58,8v.

What amp value is appropriate? I have seen that most chargers are between 4 and 6 amps, is it optimal or  is it better with one  10 amps or is it too much?

Kind regards
Johan 

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
(@admin)
Street cred = 5 Ah Admin
18/07/2017 6:40 am  

Hi Johan,

For a 14s battery, you'll want a 58.8V charger for full charging (4.2V per cell). At 7p, your battery should be able to easily handle up to 7A of charging. At those levels though, you're getting into a pretty expensive charger. If you stay in the 3-5A range, you'll still have a decent charging time (5-7 hours for full charge) but it will run cooler and be significantly less expensive. 

Tuna liked
ReplyQuote
Tuna
 Tuna
(@tuna)
Street cred = 10 mAh
18/07/2017 2:01 pm  

Hi Micah 

Thank you so much for your helpfulness as always , outstanding !

Thank you very much!

Kind regards

Johan 

ReplyQuote
Tuna
 Tuna
(@tuna)
Street cred = 10 mAh
19/07/2017 4:02 am  

Hi again 🙂

Has become a little interested in Luna's chargers,  Especially this one:

https://lunacycle.com/220v-luna-charger-52v-advanced-300w-ebike-charger/

It is listed as a 52v charger ,But the description states the following:

"When you plug in the charger, the LED displays the maximum voltage it charges to (58.8 for a nominal 52V pack)."

I'm pretty sure it will work well for me but I want to double check with you before I order .

Because there will be an order from abroad, I want to be sure.

thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
(@admin)
Street cred = 5 Ah Admin
19/07/2017 2:09 pm  

Yep, that one is designed for 14s, commonly called 52V batteries. It charges up to 58.8V which is the correct charging voltage for a 14s pack. It also has a setting to charge to a slightly lower voltage to make your battery last longer.

ReplyQuote
boulderite
(@boulderite)
Street cred = 10 mAh
06/08/2017 12:00 am  

I have a Sondors thin with a 36V  8.7  AH Panasonic  triangular battery and I recently bought a second Sondors triangular battery 36V  , 10.5 AH. I'm interested in taking some longer multiday road trips and I wanted extra range, I'll carry the extra 1 in a bag. 

I have a 2.0 A battery charger from Sondors and it's working fine, but I'm wondering about a 3 or 4AH small form factor battery charger to take on trips , so I can charge faster. Do you have any specific recommendations on specific models ( pref <$40) of these that would work well,  charge faster, and not significantly decrease the lifespan of these batteries. Also best  battery charging practices, (ie 3/4 charging, etc).

Also ,how do I specify the exact connector and plug for this  to fit my battery?

Thanks, 

Boulderite

Edited: 9 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
(@admin)
Street cred = 5 Ah Admin
06/08/2017 11:07 am  

Man, excellent timing. For one, we just announced our new line of chargers here:  http://vruzend.com/product/36v-lithium-ion-battery-charger-3-amps/ which is actually perfect for you. 3A is a nice middle ground when it comes to charging. Fast enough that its not annoying, but not so fast that its bad for the cells.

Regarding charging practices, I just recently made a video about how undercharging can help your battery last longer. You can see it here:  https://youtu.be/zQ_y3nKU360

The takeaway is that yes, not charging your battery all the way can help it last longer, but you shouldn't drive yourself crazy over it. The bigger battery life killer is leaving your battery sitting at full charge for a long time. So I charge my batteries all the way, but then I usually ride them, at least for a short ride, soon after. So even if you don't get a fancy multi-voltage charger, you can get a similar effect by just waiting until not long before you use your battery to charge it, or riding your bike soon after a charge to knock it back down to 95% or so charge, not leaving it at a full 100%.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register