Forum

Cell capacity  

RSS

Clifford Green
(@cwgreen1938)
Street cred = 10 mAh
25/11/2017 5:51 pm  

am about to build a 54v battery pack for an ebike out of recovered laptop cells. It is not difficult to arrange the cell groups by the same voltage but the capacity of these cells may test a lot different even though their voltage is the same. You say in your book that the cell groups should be made up of cells that have close to the same voltage but I have not seen anything about how to deal with cells with different capacities. Is that an important issue, do I need to add more cells in parallel to insure that I have enough capacity? I understand that a cell with lower capacity will not produce the rated voltage as long as one that test up to rated capacity but how will that affect the other cells within the cell group? I will greatly appreciate any and all comments or recommendations.

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
(@admin)
Street cred = 5 Ah Admin
27/11/2017 7:26 pm  

Its best to try to make sure the capacity of each parallel group is as close as possible to the rest. For example, if you have a 3s battery, it'd be better to have the groups be 9.8 Ah, 9.9Ah and 10 Ah. You want to avoid the groups being something like 8 Ah, 10Ah, and 12 Ah. Big differences between the total capacity of each parallel cell group will mean that the pack will end up much more unbalanced.

ReplyQuote
Clifford Green
(@cwgreen1938)
Street cred = 10 mAh
01/12/2017 2:16 am  

How would be the best and quickest way to check the capacity of 125 18650 cells?

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
(@admin)
Street cred = 5 Ah Admin
02/12/2017 3:28 pm  

Opus battery capacity testers are a good option. They can handle 4 cells at once. The speed is going to be proportional to the cost. Some people buy many testers so they can test more cells at once. 5 testers would give you 20 cells testing at once, but at the cost of 4 extra testers. If you can wait, one tester can probably test all your cells in about 2.5 weeks assuming you can do 2 batches of 4 each day.

ReplyQuote
Clifford Green
(@cwgreen1938)
Street cred = 10 mAh
07/12/2017 12:08 pm  

Micah, where do I get an Opus Battery Capacity Checker? I’ve searched for one with “no results for this search”. Could you please give me a link? Thanks

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register