Forum

Battery Kit Bus Bars and Nuts...What type of metal?  

RSS

sparkem
Street cred = 10 mAh
04/11/2017 6:04 pm  

I'm very new to the scene here, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've read that pretty much the material to use when connecting cells to make a battery pack is the purest nickel you can find.  Just from looking at the pictures, the bus bars don't appear to be nickel and surely the nuts aren't nickel as I've never heard of a pure nickel nut.

I've read a few times to source your nickel strip from a reliable, well-reviewed seller/site in order to make sure you are not getting nickel plated strip.

Bottom line...what type of metal are the bus bars and nuts made out of?  If it isn't nickel, what do other people say regarding the deviation from the norm of not using nickel to connect the batteries?  Does the note on the bottom of the Battery Kit's page have something to do with the fact that the bus bars and nuts can't handle a load over 3.5A because they aren't nickel?

I'm just trying to get some feedback because on many other sites they have stressed on sourcing good quality nickel strip, and only good quality nickel strips.

Source:

Ebikeschool.com on Nickel

Thanks!

sparkem

ReplyQuote
sparkem
Street cred = 10 mAh
04/11/2017 6:18 pm  

Just to add, the question applies to the screw posts that are on each connector as well.

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
Street cred = 1 Ah Admin
05/11/2017 3:01 am  

The current model of the kits uses Stainless Steel as the metal.

Nickel is important for spot welding, it's not the end all, be all metal of battery building. Nickel spot welds easily, so if you are spot welding your battery, you need nickel strip. Pure nickel strip has lower resistance than nickel plated strips, which is why it is recommended over nickel plated.

If you aren't spot welding, you aren't stuck with nickel. For example, copper is both cheaper and more conductive than nickel, which is why many people will solder copper braid to their battery cells. We are currently working on a V2 of the kit that uses other alloys than SS to increase the current rating of the kit.

Eliashayes liked
ReplyQuote
sparkem
Street cred = 10 mAh
05/11/2017 4:08 pm  

Okay, that totally makes sense.  I guess I was thinking too inside the box.

Thanks for the quick reply!

sparkem

ReplyQuote
Eliashayes
Street cred = 10 mAh
09/12/2017 5:03 am  

I agree that nickel is the important for spot welding.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register