Forum

Question about width of battery caps....  

RSS

Wesley Effner
Street cred = 10 mAh
07/06/2017 6:35 pm  

I previously built a 10S5P pack that fit (snuggly) in a piece of 4" x 4" PVC fence post cover. You state the width of a terminal block is 22mm/ .87".  What would be the OVERALL width of 5,  battery caps connected together?

I like the idea of using spring contacts to make the electrical connections.

Thanks,

Wes

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
Street cred = 1 Ah Admin
08/06/2017 1:26 am  

If you see the picture linked below, I'm measuring just about 110 mm, maybe 110.5 mm. The picture is a bit distorted but I tried to line the camera up with the edge of the pack being measured.

ReplyQuote
Wesley Effner
Street cred = 10 mAh
08/06/2017 10:28 am  

So, 110.5mm is ~4 3/8". Guess I'll go with a 5" x 5" PVC fence post cover (with appropriate shims).

I ordered a 50-cell kit last night; and expect to be 'back on the road, again', shortly.

May make my own bus bars from copper flats, tho.

Thanks,

Wes

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
Street cred = 1 Ah Admin
08/06/2017 11:51 am  

Hey Wes,

That sounds like a great plan. I've been experimenting with copper busbars myself. Drilling was a bit difficult due to the thin metal. I clamped a bunch together but it was still a little tricky. I think using a punch, like a hammer style punch for leather or gaskets, would be a good way to go. Spinningmagnets gave me that idea over on the ES forum, but I have yet to try it yet.

ReplyQuote
zoama
Street cred = 100 mAh
01/07/2017 10:12 am  

Soft copper tubing as used in plumbing can be flattened and drilled for buss bar. Also makes good terminal ends.

ReplyQuote
Wesley Effner
Street cred = 10 mAh
01/07/2017 11:58 am  

Micah:

A note of warning for those brave/foolish enough (me) to buy a metal punch from FleaBay, to make bus bars.

The metal Vruzend uses is approx. .52-.56mm.

This particular punch WILL NOT easily poke a hole in it.

Softer metals like copper (suggested by Zoama),  brass or aluminum, likely will be OK.

ReplyQuote
Micah (Vruzend Rep)
Street cred = 1 Ah Admin
02/07/2017 3:07 am  
Posted by: Wesley Effner

Micah:

A note of warning for those brave/foolish enough (me) to buy a metal punch from FleaBay, to make bus bars.

The metal Vruzend uses is approx. .52-.56mm.

This particular punch WILL NOT easily poke a hole in it.

Softer metals like copper (suggested by Zoama),  brass or aluminum, likely will be OK.

Hey Wesley,

Yea the busbars we use are stainless steel and quite strong - you'd need some serious forearm muscles to punch it. I've been using a punch on copper busbars, which can be much thinner since they are more conductive than the SS.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register